Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4, 1994

Early on the morning of July 4, 1994, I walked over to my studio and carved this block. The text combines two different translations of a verse from Ecclesiastes, a biblical book that I often turn to when I need a good quote or a title for a print or exhibition. (years later I would base an entire print series on it) For me the quote was a good way to sum up the year that had just passed. There were good days and bad days. Sometimes that is out of our control. Enjoy the good, accept the bad, and get ready for the next day and whatever it brings. That was pretty much my philosophy when choosing the images and cutting the 366 blocks that made up this series.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! So this post inspired me to write my own '4th of July Blog' actually. I could't find much information on the 'Ecclesiastes' though even on Wikipedia. Great writing though!
http://msbands.com/top-5-songs-for-your-4th-of-july-party/

That's my blog if you want to critique me. It is about the top 5 songs you should listen to for your barbeque!