Thursday, July 4, 2013

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today



Today is the 20th Anniversary of the beginning of my series "The Fourth of July".  Although it is a piece completed while I was still in school, many consider it my signature piece.  The cutting of many of the blocks is a bit crude by my current standards, but what I learned in doing these 366 blocks influenced all the prints that followed.  Two complete sets were printed, and since about half the blocks were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy last fall, those will be the only two complete sets.  Because of its large size, the whole piece has only been displayed four times- twice while in school and twice here in New Jersey.  The most recent exhibition was earlier this year in Belmar, that installation shown above (click on the photo to enlarge).

Several years ago I decided to post the whole series online, and created this blog.  I created each post on the anniversary of each print, putting up one per day for a year.  Because this is a blog, the most recent posts are the last ones to be posted, so it's in reverse chronological order.  However, the archive function at the right will allow any interested viewer to easily get back to the beginning (July 2007) or look up any date in between.


No comments: