Monday, May 12, 2008

May 12, 1994

I get a copy of David Lasky's Boom Boom #1 in the mail. Dave and I went to college together, and shortly after graduation we collaborated on a number of comic related ventures, which went nowhere. I concentrated on my graduate art education (and woodcuts), while Dave pursued comics. He published many of these under the title Boom Boom, first a series of quarter page sized photocopied mini-comics, then a series of half page sized photocopied minis with 2 color card stock covers. Now he had gotten a deal to be professionally published, a full sized 24 page black and white comic printed on newsprint with glossy full color covers. Not only did the format look great, the story was by far his strongest work to date in both writing and art.

2 comments:

Lasky said...

I'm thrilled that my comic made it into your series!

One of these days I'll have to get my early work collected in book form...

arrabbiata said...

Your comic was definitely the highlight of the day- there was no doubt it would be the subject of my May 12 print.

I've long looked forward to seeing an anthology of Lasky comics. Portrait of Ella definitely deserves to be seen again, and you know I've always been a fan of your "Arrabbiata" story...