Saturday, April 12, 2008

April 12, 1994

Laura the sculptor had applied to a number of grad schools, but to this point had gotten rejections. I ran into her downstairs in the Glove Factory, and she mentioned being on the waiting list for one school, and expected to hear from the last one any minute. I went up to my studio to do some work. A little later she came upstairs and said she just heard from the last school- another rejection. She saw a wooden chair in the corner of my studio and decided to sit down. Before I could warn her the chair wasn't stable (unglued, basically just leaning together, strong enough to hold stack of papers and not much else), she sat on it, and it collapsed immediately, dropping her to the floor. Luckily, she saw the humor in the situation. I told her that I was sure that somehow everything would work out for her. She went home, but came back that evening with good news- the mail brought a letter from the school that had put her on the waiting list, and she was now admitted to their MFA program. The quote from Job seemed a good way to sum up the day's events.

No comments: