Sunday, February 10, 2008

February 10, 1994

John Lindt returns my glass. Our first day blowing glass, all we did was make a little bubble, but the next time we got to work a little longer, and I made this little glass piece. After the piece is finished being worked, it is quickly removed from the punty stick and put into an annealing oven, which very gradually lowers the temperature of the glass object from about 1500 degrees to room temperature (about 100 degrees there in the hot shop) over a long period of time; just cooling it in the open air would result in the piece shattering. I went back to the shop a few days later to pick up my cooled piece, but it was gone. It turned out that John (also in the glass class that semester) had accidently taken it, saying it was so nice, he assumed it was his. Later in my studio, I looked up to see my glass emerging in my doorway, John having brought it back.

No comments: